TOGETHER We Are Pearl! Keep Calm and Stay the Course!
Welcome to Mrs. Holder's Class!
WELCOME BACK PIRATES!
Click below and watch our Welcome Back 2020! video:
Vocabulary Words: Week of Monday, October 5, 2020 - Thursday October 8, 2020
1. invincible: unbeatable; too powerful to be beat
2. sovereign: ruler
3. explorer: someone who explores an unfamiliar area; an adventurer
4. voyage: a long journey involving travel by sea or in space
5. enterprise: a project; usually one that is difficult
6. vast: a very great area
7. wealthy: having a great deal of money
8. portrait: a painting, drawing, or photograph of a person; especially of the face or head and shoulders
9. Columbian Exchange: the widespread transfer of plants, animals, culture, human populations, technology, diseases, and ideas between the Americas, West Africa and the Old World during the 15th and 16th centuries
10. coat-of-arms: hereditary symbols dating back to medieval Europe, used to establish identity in battle
11. myth: a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining something natural
12. Christopher Columbus: an Italian navigator and sailed for the Spanish and is known for discovering America
13. route: a way or course taken in getting from a starting point to a destination
14. Bahamas: location where Christopher Columbus landed in the New Americas
15. Tainos: people who lived on the land discovered by Christopher Columbus, and were killed and forced into slaves by Christopher Columbus’s people
I am Mrs. Holder, your child's 5th grade ELA and Social Studies Teacher and I am excited about all the great things we learn all year long.
- Signed papers will go home on Monday and are required to be returned on Tuesdays.
- Should you need to contact me, please email and I will do my best to respond as promptly as possible. School Status is a way for me to text and call you from the School Status App.
- Check Active Parent for information regarding grades, discipline and attendance.
- Our newsletter will contain homework and study guide information.
- Planners should be a source of information at a classroom level.
I want to encourage students to always do your best, be kind and keep that Pirate Pride in all you do! Be on the lookout for new updates!
Please check the newsletter for information on our school and classroom activities this week.
Should you have questions, please email me as I will be checking email frequently.