TOGETHER We Are Pearl! Keep Calm and Stay the Course!
Welcome to Mrs. Holder's Class!
Welcome Back for our Second Semester!
April 12-23, 2021: Vocabulary Words
VOCABULARY TEST on FRIDAY! 04/16 on Words 1-7
1. Alevin- a newly hatched salmon with its yolk sac still attached.
2. Embryo - the tiny living thing inside a fertilized egg.
3. Environment - everything surrounding a living thing that affects
the way it grows or develops.
4. Eyed egg - a month-old egg at the stage when the embryo's large,
dark eyes can be seen through the egg.
5. Fish ladder - a series of pools arranged like steps so that a fish can
jump up from one to the next.
6. Fry - baby salmon that have used up their yolk sacs and are ready
to find their own food.
7. Gill - the organ that fish use for breathing.
8. Hatch - coming forth from an egg.
9. Plankton - tiny organisms that float or drift in the sea.
10. Pollution - whatever poisons or destroys the cleanliness and purity
of air, earth, or water.
11. Redd - the hole (nest) in the bottom of a stream in which a female
salmon lays her eggs.
12. Smolt - young salmon that is ready to migrate to the ocean.
13. Spawn - to lay eggs or fertilize them.
14. Watershed - the drainage area around a stream or river.
I am Mrs. Holder, your child's 5th grade ELA and Social Studies Teacher and I am excited about all the great things we learn all year long.
- Signed papers will go home on Monday and are required to be returned on Tuesdays.
- Should you need to contact me, please email and I will do my best to respond as promptly as possible. School Status is a way for me to text and call you from the School Status App.
- Check Active Parent for information regarding grades, discipline and attendance.
- Our newsletter will contain homework and study guide information.
- Planners should be a source of information at a classroom level.
I want to encourage students to always do your best, be kind and keep that Pirate Pride in all you do! Be on the lookout for new updates!
Please check the newsletter for information on our school and classroom activities this week.
Should you have questions, please email me as I will be checking email frequently.