Pearl High School History
Pearl Schools began as a one-room school building constructed on land near Pearson Road donated by Joseph Valentour. The first teacher, Miss Louise Andrews, taught all children in grades 1 - 8. Because Pearl was so close to Jackson, students wishing to attend school past the eighth grade went to Central High School in Jackson near the state capitol building. After several years, Pearl officials constructed a high school building and auditorium near the elementary school and the first seniors graduated from Pearl High School in 1949. Over the years, several more buildings were added to the campus as the population of the area grew. After Pearl became a city in 1973, work began to separate Pearl from the Rankin County School District. In 1976, the Pearl Municipal Separate School District, now known as Pearl Public Schools, was formed.
Because of aging buildings, increased enrollment, and an expanding curriculum, the Pearl school board proposed building a new school. The voters of Pearl passed a bond issue in 1987 and work began on a new high school. The building was completed and classes were held in the present Pearl High School in August, 1989. The original school buildings were sold to the city and now house City Hall and the Pearl Police Department. In 1999, a fine arts wing, including a performing arts center, was added. Other additions include athletic fields, a track, tennis courts, and artificial turf and building upgrades to the football field.
Pearl High School was recognized as a Blue Ribbon School by the United States Department of Education in 1991. Through our excellent academic, athletic, and fine arts programs, our school is consistently ranked at or near the top of the public schools in Mississippi.
Principals of Pearl High School